Saturday, March 7, 2009

Hamburgers and Beer, anyone?







Among the casualties from hurricane Ike was Kitty's Purple Cow, a grill and bar in Surfside. Their food is a heart attack on a platter. Anyway, after the storm and the havoc it wreaked on the restaurant, Kitty had decided to give it up and move back to Wisconsin. Apparently, by her own admission, this was a bad idea after winter set in. She moved back to Surfside and rebuilt her place. The Grand Opening was today at noon, and since we were working down there today, we decided to eat lunch at Kitty's. We and about 100 other folks. However, the food was free and pretty good. I must admit that I felt somewhat guilty because I had only been there one other time in my life. We used to favor Jeff's on the Jetties until it closed down a couple of years ago. It has it's own unique story (Jeff killed his roommate and was sent to prison. A nephew ran it until it had to close). Anyway, you can't miss the purple building near the highway, and it is interesting. I personally liked the grand opening sign propped up by a discarded toilet. Whatever works. I learned today that as well as Kitty's, another popular place for the resident Surfsiders is the Jetty Shack. I didn't know that even existed. Another thing to try, maybe. If any of you non-residents get down this way and want some real local color, I think we can fix you up.

No comments: